Monday, November 24, 2014

Independent Designer Gift-A-Long 2014: RebekahEvelyn Interview

Through the end of the year, join me and 292 other independent designers in Gift-A-Long 2014 on Ravelry.com.  Chat it up in threads, crochet and knit holiday gifts, and be eligible for many fabulous prizes. The Gift-A-Long extravaganza will last through the end of the year.  It is our gift to you to thank you for supporting Independent Designers!


One of these inspiring indies (and perhaps the youngest) is RebekahEvelyn.

How did you first learn to knit/crochet? 

My paternal grandmother crocheted each of my siblings and me an afghan when we were born. One time when she was working on one for a sibling that wasn’t born yet, she helped a few of us try to crochet. I took crochet lessons a few years later, then learned to knit, and I’ve been using yarn ever since!
image title

What inspired you to start designing? 

Since the beginning, I’ve improvised and modified. I didn’t think of it as designing, just a normal adaptive process. :)

What led you to start designing patterns for sale? 

I started designing seriously in 2012. I had tried to make some money selling finished objects, but I didn’t enjoy it. And I think knitting is supposed to be fun! So when I found out about self-publishing designs, I decided to try my hand at that. While I started because I wanted to earn money, I decided later that I like designing for the process itself. Even if I never make a “decent” amount on it, I love doing it! So far, I’ve poured a lot more into it than I’ve gotten out of it. And that’s okay!

What inspired you to start blogging? 

I’ve always loved to write. I probably have six full diaries sitting on my bookshelf. I’m from a large family (10 siblings at the moment :), and I would type up newsletters about our doings and send them to friends and family. When I was nearly 13, I decided to start a blog as an easier way for people to connect with my family. When I started designing, it just felt natural to start a new blog specifically about my designs.

image title

What are you working on now? 

Right now I’m taking a break from designing to knit Christmas gifts and other things that I’ve pushed aside for a while. But I can never stop the design ideas from flowing into my mind. That’s what a sketchbook is for!

What websites/blogs you visit regularly for inspiration or community? 

Ravelry is a must! I also really enjoy reading Knitted BlissTanis Fiber Arts
and He Sows and She Sews is one that I am always encouraged and inspired by.


image title

What are your favorite tools? 

Knitting needles!!! And once I got some foam floor mats, I started to like blocking a whole lot better!

What is your favorite stitch? 

1x1 ribbing. I always come back to it. At times, I’ve made myself not use it just so I have more practice with other stitches. :)

Do you have a favorite fiber? 

Alpaca, hands down. It’s sooo soft!

Do you have a favorite yarn weight? 

I’ve knit more worsted than anything else, but I like to switch it up a lot. I knit a lot of sport and dk weight this year, so when I knit a chunky hat, it felt nice and fast!

Are you still in high school? 

Yes. I’m a senior in high school, and graduating in the spring.

image title


What are your favorite knit/crochet books? 

I use a lot more magazine patterns than books. My favorite is Knitscene. But one book deserves special mention. The book that introduced me to knitting was Knitted Babes by Clare Garland. I saw the dolls on the front cover, and I knew I needed to learn how to knit so I could make them. My first knitting project was a doll, not your typical scarf. Here’s a picture of her wearing my glasses. :) 

image title

Do you teach or have you taught knitting/Crochet? 

I taught two of my little sisters how to knit and crochet, and they’re both great at it! Over five years ago, I tried to teach a large group of girls to knit; it was a good experience, but as a preteen, it was very stressful for me!


image title



What are your plans for the future? 

I’m definitely going to keep designing. I couldn’t bear to stop! My dream is to be a stay-at-home-mom and knitting designer. My big designing goals are to publish a garment design (maybe I’ll get the gumption to do it this coming year!), have a design accepted to a major publication, and maybe, just maybe, write a book.

*******************************************************************
You can find RebekahEvelyn's work here and her blog here.

No comments: